Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Top 10 Most Anticipated Films of 2013

As 2012 comes to a close, it's time to look ahead to next year's batch of movies. 2012 was easily one of the best years for movies ever, so it will be interesting to see what's to come next for 2013. So, here are my Top 10 Most Anticipated films of 2013.


10. MONSTERS' UNIVERSITY:



I'm starting this list off with the sole animated feature on this list, the latest from Pixar and the prequel to 2001's 'Monsters' Inc'. Now of course, Pixar hasn't really been on that good of a run lately after their first non-Toy Story sequel 'Cars 2' was a critical flop and their most recent film 'Brave' received a similar mixed reception. Who knows? This might end up the same way too. But, I feel like it could still work. John Goodman and Billy Crystal are back as Sulley and Mike, and I'm interested to see how they are going to handle the whole 'college' situation through the eyes of monsters.



9. THE WORLD'S END



One of two comedies on this list, 'The World's End' is the third in a trilogy of films from director Edgar Wright starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost known as 'the Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy'. Of course, this is following in the footsteps of two of the best comedies in recent years, 2004's 'Shaun of the Dead' and 2007's 'Hot Fuzz'. What made both of those comedies work so well is that they were more than just comedies. 'Shaun of the Dead' was also a zombie film and a romance, while 'Hot Fuzz' was also an action movie. Who wouldn't be looking forward to this trio's latest film?



8. THE GREAT GATSBY




Now this film was originally supposed to be released this year (today, in fact, December 25th), but was moved to 2013 because it conflicted with star Leonardo DiCaprio's other film, 'Django Unchained'. For me, this new adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic novel of the same comes out after I recently read the book at school and I do remember I did like it. Before any trailers even came out for this film, I was a little worried when considering director Baz Luhrmann's other adaptation of a classic story, 'Romeo and Juliet'. The end result was a modern adaptation of the story that still retained the original Shakespearean dialogue, basically an uneven mix. Thankfully, that doesn't seem to be the case here and with a cast that includes DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan, and Joel Edgerton, I'm certainly sold.



7. ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND CONTINUES



The other comedy on this list is the long-awaited sequel to 2004's 'Anchorman', one of the funniest comedies ever made largely due in part to the performances of Will Ferrell as anchorman Ron Burgundy of Channel 4 News in San Diego along with the fellow members of the Channel 4 News Team. While there hasn't been much revealed about the plot yet, this is a comedy that I will not be missing. 'Great Odin's Raven!'



6. THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG



So with one Hobbit film out of the way, it's time to look ahead to the second, 'The Desolation of Smaug'. This was originally supposed to be titled 'There and Back Again' when this was supposed to be the final Hobbit film, but of course this is now the second and 'There and Back Again' will hit theaters in 2014. I am a little worried that there might not be enough material that would warrant a sequel because of how small Tolkien's original novel was compared to 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy. Really though, I am just hoping that this one fixes the pacing issue from the first one and that it won't feel like the 'Extended Version' like 'An Unexpected Journey' felt like.



5. THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE



With Harry Potter and Twilight out of the way now, 'The Hunger Games' has the 'book series adapted to movie' market all to itself with the release of 'Catching Fire'. Like those other franchises, this new film will also see a change in director from Gary Ross to Francis Lawrence ('I Am Legend'), who will also be directing the two part adaptation of 'Mockingjay' (therefore Lawrence becomes the 'David Yates' of the Hunger Games franchise). I'm just hoping that Lawrence will fix the editing and camerawork problems from the last movie. But still, with a cast of newcomers that include Phillip Seymour Hoffman, I can't wait for this new film.



4. MAN OF STEEL



This has been a project that I have been rather worried about, and not because it's DC's second attempt at rebooting the Superman franchise following 'Superman Returns' in 2006. For me, it was more because of who is directing it; Zack Synder. While '300' was a terrific movie and 'Watchmen' was mildly entertaining, nothing can excuse Synder's 2011 'Sucker Punch', which was my pick for the worst film of 2011. The only saving grace for me was that Christopher Nolan was producing it and that Synder wasn't part of the writing team behind it (that honor belonged to Nolan and David S. Goyer, a much better choice). But I have to say, the trailers for this film (and that does include the Comic-Con footage, which I did manage to find a good version of here on the Internet) have blown me away. Why? Well, because it doesn't even look like a Synder movie. It feels more like Nolan's 'Batman' movies. I don't know if that will necessarily work for the Man of Steel, but it has certainly doesn't have me worried as much as I was after seeing Sucker Punch.



3. THOR: THE DARK WORLD



And now we get to the first Marvel movies that come out in the wake of 'The Avengers'. While it may not be the first one out of the gate, I am very much looking forward to 'Thor: The Dark World', the sequel to one of my personal favorite 'Pre-Avenger' movies, 2011's 'Thor'. I really loved that movie, not just because it was the first great movie in a rather weak year for movies, but because of how director Kenneth Branagh brought a character like Thor to the big screen with such class so that the end result would not be too cheesy. Not only that, but lead Chris Hemsworth proved his star/charm power as Thor. Branagh isn't back for the sequel, but a director who had previously helmed episodes of HBO's 'Game of Thrones' is a pretty good trade.



2. IRON MAN 3



But of course, who isn't excited about Marvel's first 'Post-Avenger' movie, Iron Man 3, especially considering that the Iron Man movies have pretty much become the key jewel of Marvel Studios if you think about it. I'm intrigued to see what new director Shane Black, famous for writing 'Lethal Weapon' and directing the cult hit 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' (also starring Robert Downey Jr.), will bring to this new Iron Man film. From what has been shown so far from the trailers, it looks like Black is taking the franchise in a new darker direction. Let's just hope he doesn't get rid of the humor, a key aspect of both Robert Downey Jr.'s portrayal of Stark and the character itself.



So what film am I looking forward to more than 'Iron Man 3' and 'Thor 2'? That movie, my friends, is...



1. STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS



It's all thanks to director J.J. Abrams' 2009 reboot, which got me hooked on the Star Trek franchise. What made the 2009 film so great is that it appealed to both newcomers to the franchise (like I was at the time) and the already established fans of the franchise. Not only that, but the cast did a phenomenal job and filled the shoes of legends like William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy (the latter making a well-handled cameo appearance in the film). I couldn't be anymore psyched for this new film, once again helmed by Abrams (who is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors following 2011's 'Super 8'). The big selling point this time would have to be Benedict Cumberbatch as the main villain, who I'm already betting will give Ricardo Montalbรกn's Khan a run for his money as one of the best villains in franchise history. Heck, who knows, maybe he actually is playing Khan. I can't say I totally buy this 'John Harrison' name they recently gave him. But then again, the movie doesn't come out for five more months so we'll just have to wait and see.



And those are my ten most anticipated films of 2013. I know I'm leaving out some other big name films so what are some of your most anticipated films for the coming year?

No comments:

Post a Comment