Thursday, June 26, 2014

Transformers Trilogy (2007-2011) Reviews: Michael Bay Retrospective Part 2


A few days ago, I looked at the almost-complete directorial filmography of Michael Bay from his first film, 1995’s ‘Bad Boys’, to his most recent, 2013’s ‘Pain and Gain’. I say ‘almost complete’ because I skipped over a certain trilogy of films that he directed between 2007 and 2011 because I wanted to save these three for another post that would be published a little bit closer to the debut of Bay’s newest film, which just so happens to be the follow-up to the trilogy of films that I’m looking at today; Michael Bay’s live-action Transformers trilogy based off of the toy line and subsequent media franchise developed by Takara Tomy and Hasbro. This new film, ‘Transformers: Age of Extinction’, is the fourth film in the series but features a brand new cast of characters taking over for the cast of the original trilogy, taking place a few years after the events of the third film. It is also reportedly set to be the first in a new trilogy of films however it’s unclear if Bay will return for the next two films, meaning that it’s likely that this will be Michael Bay’s last Transformers film (and on that note, without saying anything further about it, I already know how a lot of you would react to that if that happened considering the typical reception towards these films).

Now I’m going into this new Transformers film with an open mind and that is due to the three films that precede it or, as I like to call them, the most hated film trilogy since the Star Wars prequels. Sure, the first film got decent enough reviews from critics but then came the sequels, both of which have been universally bashed by pretty much everybody in the world. So to those who really, really dislike these movies… prepare to disagree with me quite a bit. Now I’m going on record and saying that when I was younger, I really enjoyed all three of these films and I even passionately defended the two sequels against their harshest critics. Did I think that they were perfect? Absolutely not, but at the same time, I never thought that they were the worst films in the world and I’ve heard plenty of people declare them to be the worst films of all time which for the record I find to be a little too much exaggerated, just like the whole thing that I mentioned last time about Bay being the ‘worst director’ ever. But you see… this is where things start to get interesting for this is actually the first time in a few years since I’ve seen all of these films. I’m very interested in seeing if they hold up as well as I had once thought of them. Will my opinion of them change? Well, you’re just going to have to keep reading to find out.

But first, I’m adding in a little bonus and will be starting this retrospective with a review of the ‘first’ Transformers film… and no, it’s not the one that Bay directed.

THE TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE (1986)


Easily one of the most famous cartoons from the 1980’s, ‘The Transformers’ ran for four seasons as it followed the war between the two factions of alien robots known as the Autobots and Decepticons. Midway through the series’ run, there came ‘The Transformers: The Movie’, which some like to refer to as an 84-minute toy commercial. In a way, it probably is but even with that in mind, there are still some pretty interesting aspects about this movie that do make it worthwhile to check out. For one thing, most of the Autobots in this film are actually killed off, including Optimus Prime, which I’m pretty sure must’ve come as a major shock for fans of the show. As for that scene where Prime dies, while I never really watched the original series that much (though I did watch a few episodes before watching this movie), I will admit that this scene is a legitimately sad moment. You really have to give this movie credit; it has major cojones for killing off most of the characters that audiences had grown attached to through the TV series. Because of this, a new set of characters were introduced in this film and became the new main characters of the TV series for the rest of its run.

This movie also has some pretty good voice acting from the likes of Judd Nelson as Hot Rod (who’s sort of the Luke Skywalker of the film… yeah, this film has a lot in common with ‘Star Wars’, by the way), Leonard Nimoy as Galvatron (the revived form of Megatron), and Orson Welles in his final film role as Unicron. While it has been reported that Welles wasn’t too enthusiastic about the project, his voice (which for the record had to be synthesized in post-production because it was very weak when he recorded the dialogue… he died only five days after he finished working on the film) actually is a really nice fit for the role of the planet-sized Transformer. In fact, I would really love to see Unicron appear in the live-action Transformers movies. That would be awesome. As for this film’s soundtrack, which is the very definition of an 80’s film soundtrack, there are a lot of good tunes in the film though at the same time, some feel rather distracting at certain points like during some of the fight scenes. Still, ‘The Transformers: The Movie’ is a pretty solid animated film and while I may not have grown up watching the original TV series this is based on, this will definitely serve as a nostalgic trip down memory lane for those who did.

Rating: 4/5

TRANSFORMERS (2007)


When it first came out in 2007, the first live-action ‘Transformers’ film received generally decent reviews from critics. I mean to be more specific, not all of the reviews were positive but at the end of the day the reviews for this film were much better than the reviews were for its two sequels. However, I kind of get the feeling that the reaction towards this film became a bit more negative after its sequels came out. I really don’t get why that is because, I’m just going to say it… this is a great movie. Nearly a decade after its release, this film still holds up incredibly well. The biggest reason for this is that most of the problems that a lot of people had with the sequels aren’t as big of a problem in this film. The writing is pretty solid in regards to establishing the lore and the main characters and while the film may focus more on the human characters more than the Transformers themselves (something that I’m well aware has been a major disappointment for fans of the franchise), there are at least a few decent character arcs in this film (I’ll get into why that becomes a problem later on in the series when I get to the third film) so it’s not like the human characters in this are completely bland. The acting, for an action movie, is solid enough in this one and in the lead role of Sam Witwicky, Shia LaBeouf actually does a pretty good job here, again mostly because his character does have a solid arc and in this film LaBeouf actually does manage to make the character sympathetic and relatable.

As with any Michael Bay film, the action sequences in this are fantastic and amidst all of the CGI in this film (which for the record is still really good CGI), you do have to appreciate the fact that there were also quite a lot of practical effects in this film as well. My personal favorite sequence of the film would have to be the opening scene where the Decepticon Blackout attacks the U.S. Military at their base in Qatar. This to me was a phenomenal way to start off the movie though again all of the action scenes here are excellent. Also, while this film may be nearly two and a half hours long, the pacing in this is actually pretty good and I never felt that the film dragged at any point. So, with all of that said, the first of Michael Bay’s ‘Transformers’ films still holds up very well upon re-watch and if I were to rank my Top 10 favorite films from 2007, I guarantee that this film would have easily made my Top 10 as I find it to be one of the best action/sci-fi films of this past decade. Even if you didn’t like this film’s sequels, one thing is for certain; this film doesn’t deserve the same hate as those films because it truly is the best of the trilogy and as such, I believe that it is one of Michael Bay’s best films, if arguably not his best.

Rating: 5/5!

TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN (2009)


I know that last time I said that I believe that ‘Pearl Harbor’ was Michael Bay’s most hated movie because it was based on an actual event in U.S. history and not a toy franchise aimed at kids. But you know the more that I think about it… really there’s no denying it. I think it’s safe to say that ‘Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen’ has to be the most universally despised summer blockbuster in recent memory, if not all time. I mean, not even the ‘Star Wars’ prequels, for as reviled as they are, got this much criticism. I guarantee you that it will be very hard to find someone who actually likes this film and I’m not talking about the few critics who gave it positive reviews when it came out. I mean someone who actually really likes this film in the five years since it was released… well, guess what… you’ve already found one of them. Now before any of you stop reading this post (and let’s be honest, I’m fairly certain some of you have already done that once you read that I did like this film), let me be clear about something. While I do still really like this film, I don’t necessarily ‘love it’ as I too agree that it has some noticeable problems but to me these problems aren’t really the ones that everyone likes to point out (and believe me, they have done so quite a lot these last few years).

Obviously the main problem with the film lies within the writing but while some have said that this movie’s plot is incomprehensible and that it makes no sense, I feel that it’s a different problem entirely. For you see, the first half of this film is actually quite aimless. There is ‘some’ remnants of a plot in this part of the film, but they literally don’t explain what it is that the Decepticons are looking for, the Matrix of Leadership (the same object that the two factions fought for in ‘The Transformers: The Movie’, by the way) until halfway through the movie (believe me, I’ve timed it; just under one hour and thirty minutes). I mean, that is quite amazing actually that a film this big in scale could go on for nearly one and a half hours and yet have nothing much going in regards to developing the plot. I mean, they do indicate that the Decepticons are looking for a new source of Energon, the Transformers’ main source of energy, but again that doesn’t really become relevant until the movie’s half-way over. But really when it comes to this film’s shortcomings in the writing department, I mostly attribute this to the fact that the filmmakers had to deal with the Writers Guild of America strike that took place from November 2007 to February 2008 so I can see how it makes sense that this film ended up being a little rushed because of that. I bet that if they didn’t have to deal with this strike then the movie could’ve possibly turned out to be much better.

But with all of that said, why then do I still like this movie? Well, to put it bluntly, it’s the main reason why I like most of Michael Bay’s films in the first place; I still found this movie to be very entertaining and again I was never bored by it, though I will say that the final fight in Egypt does go on quite a bit too long. It’s still an awesome action sequence but it could’ve really been trimmed. I never really felt angry while watching this film, and that’s saying a lot considering the multiple aspects of the film that have negatively received by almost everyone who’s seen it, one of the most infamous being the twin Autobots Mudflaps and Skids for ‘embodying racial stereotypes’. Now, I never want to address anything racism-related when it comes to movies because quite frankly I just don’t want to do it so I’m not going to say anything further about these characters. So in short, while I don’t think that this movie is perfect and ultimately the first of Bay’s ‘Transformers’ films is the highly superior movie, I don’t think this one is as bad as a lot of people put it out to be. And hey, if you don’t like it, that’s fine; I’m not trying to spite anyone here by saying that I like this movie. I’m just saying that I still enjoy this movie and most of the problems that people had with it didn’t really bother me that much.

Rating: 3.5/5

TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON (2011)


So even though ‘Revenge of the Fallen’ got trashed by critics and audiences, it was still a big success at the box office, meaning that those who really hated it… apparently saw it more than once, which I find quite a bit odd because why then would these people see it again if they hated it so much. This becomes even more peculiar when discussing the next film, ‘Dark of the Moon’. Now the reviews for this film were a bit better than the previous film but for the most part they were still rather negative… and yet this film grossed over $1 billion dollars worldwide. While I’m always glad to see films do successful at the box office, I’m still wondering how this one managed to get into the billion dollar club. Because again, I’ve heard plenty of people say that they hated this film, some of whom hated it just as much as the last film. Well, with that said, if these people hated it so much… why then did they apparently see it at least twice in theaters? It just makes no sense. Now, I was one of those people who did see this movie twice in theaters (both times in 3-D… which was actually well-worth it by the way because while I’m aware that a good chunk of the film was post-converted into the format, at least seventy percent of the film was shot in 3-D so the film was at least intended to be filmed that way) but unlike a lot of people, I did like the film when I first saw it. Having watched it again, I still like it. I like it more than ‘Revenge of the Fallen’ but still not as much as the first film.

This film thankfully improves on the story problems that plagued the previous film. This time, the plot for the film was actually pretty interesting, revolving around how an old Cybertronian spacecraft that had crash-landed on the moon resulted in the Apollo 11 mission, which in this movie was a cover so that the ship could be properly investigated. The ship contained the original leader of the Autobots, Sentinel Prime, and his inventions, a bunch of Pillars used to create a space bridge to transport matter between two points. After Sentinel Prime is awakened, he is then revealed to be working with the Decepticons so that they could restore their planet Cybertron to its former glory. I must say that this whole plot development with Sentinel was actually a pretty interesting one because his betrayal was genuinely unexpected and we did see that it affected Optimus quite a lot because he trusted Sentinel so much. I thought this was all handled very well and that Leonard Nimoy did a great job voicing Sentinel. Though as some have already pointed out, there is kind of a glaring issue when it comes to the first three ‘Transformers’ films; for you see, all three of these films literally have the exact same general plot-points; the Decepticons are looking for an artifact so that they can win the war, Sam Witwicky ends up getting involved in one way or another, etc. Hopefully ‘Age of Extinction’ doesn’t follow the exact same beats as these three films did.

But whereas the story for this film was better than in the last one, this time it comes at the expense of good character development. As I said before, I found that the first ‘Transformers’ film actually did have a decent amount of character development, which is quite impressive actually especially when considering the fact that this is a film about giant robots fighting each other. But basically all of those arcs were already completed after that film so by this point, it becomes rather pointless that a lot of these characters are still around after their arcs were already completed in previous films. Like remember in the first film how Captain William Lennox (Josh Duhamel) was trying to get home to his wife and their newborn daughter? Well, while Lennox does still play a major role in the action for the next two films, his family is never seen again for the rest of the series. As for his friend Epps (Tyrese Gibson)… well, in this film Epps literally doesn’t show up until halfway through the movie. I’m guessing this might’ve been because Gibson was also working on ‘Fast Five’ at the time, but still these two are just there to be a part of the final battle and really nothing else.

Then we get to Sam Witwicky whose character arc was already completed in the first film so at this point he really has nowhere to go having already helped save the world twice. I’ve never been that critical of Shia LaBeouf’s performances in these three movies, but here I will agree that he does start to get a bit too annoying but again, that’s just because he quite frankly doesn’t have much to work with in this. There are multiple times in this movie where Sam complains about how he should be working with the Autobots and not having to live a normal life instead… even though at the beginning of the second film, he was actually looking for things to return to normal for him. Why all of this changed… I have no idea. This movie also kind of hastily switches girlfriends on him, though this is mostly because of a behind-the-scenes incident where Megan Fox reportedly called Michael Bay ‘Hitler’, resulting in him and Spielberg kicking her off the project, replacing her with Rosie Huntington-Whiteley. Though to the filmmakers’ credit, this change is actually handled pretty well considering the whole situation they were in and while I’m not saying that Whiteley does a ‘great’ job in this, I actually like her more than Fox because I felt that her character Carly came off as being more likable and that her and LaBeouf actually had pretty good chemistry.

But one of my biggest problems with the film actually isn’t anything within the actual film itself. It is actually in regards to how the film was marketed. Before the film came out, I remember watching interviews where the cast and crew were saying that the film was going to be much more serious in tone. Bay even said that the film was going to be like ‘Black Hawk Down’ but with ‘Transformers’… which could’ve been really, really cool. But guess what… that’s not the case with the final product. It’s just another Michael Bay ‘Transformers’ film that does have a fairly large-scale final battle but doesn’t have the emotional depth that those involved were claiming that it had. I feel that some of the main characters should have died in this. Now, the death of Ironhide did work because it was unexpected, but aside from him, only a few of the protagonists are killed off. Maybe they could have killed off Lennox or Epps if only just because, like I said earlier, they were just there to be a part of the action; they already went through their character arcs. But nope… instead, the majority of the main characters survive just as they did in the previous films. This movie tried to be much more serious and while I do give it credit for attempting to do so, it could’ve done a lot better in trying to establish a more serious tone.

But yet again, I never found the film to be boring. The final fight in Chicago is easily the highlight of the movie, which is greatly benefitted by the 3-D. This fight thankfully never feels like it drags at any point which as I said earlier was the main problem with the finale of ‘Revenge of the Fallen’. And yes, the majority of the action is actually reserved for the finale whereas the first half hour of the film is mostly reserved for the story but even then I still found the movie to be pretty engaging. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… Michael Bay’s movies are never boring. So ultimately, I feel that ‘Dark of the Moon’ is a superior sequel to ‘Revenge of the Fallen’ but due to some issues it’s still not as good as the first film. I do kind of feel like this movie got some unfair flack, if only because I feel that some were a little biased towards it because of their hate for ‘Revenge of the Fallen’. I’m just going to say it… this film is not ‘Revenge of the Fallen’. It is easily better than that film but again, if you still don’t like this film that’s fine. I still really enjoyed ‘Dark of the Moon’ and I’m eagerly waiting to see ‘Transformers: Age of Extinction’. I know I said earlier that I’m going into that film with an open mind, but in reality I’m actually really excited for it and that is because I love this trilogy of films.


Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment